SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bucklenj

Hardy Japanese-type maples in Vermont?

bucklenj
18 years ago

Hi everyone:

This is my first posting having spent a lot of time enjoying the forums here and I hope you can help me out with some advice. I live just north of Burlington VT close to Lake Champlain (within a mile). Temperatures regularly hit -20F in the winter with a record low in the past century of -30F. I'm interested in planting small and Japanese-type maples and I'd like some advice on what candidates are likely to do well for me. I'm planning to plant first on the east and south-facing sides of my garage and later in other areas in the yard.

I'm not planning on planting Acer palmatum unless I can identify some especially hardy varieties (I've heard Emperor I and Robinson's Red are quite hardy and some bloodgood types do grow in Burlington and in Plattsburgh on the other side of the lake). I'm mainly thinking of planting some or all of the following: Acer pseudosieboldianum, A. ginnala, A. shirasawanum, A. japonicum, A. sieboldianum and A. griseum. I'd be very interested in hearing whether you think these plants will do well for me and which specific varieties of these species in your experience are most hardy and likely to prosper. Advice on siting, general care and soil preparation would also be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Neil

Comments (19)