SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jengledc

Crabapple Transplant Shock - HELP

jengledc
18 years ago

I planted a Pink Princess crabapple this weekend. At the nursery, they cut a significant amount of roots to get the plant out of the ground. It was balled/burlapped, but the roots seem to have gone through the burlap while on display at the nursery.

The leaves started to wilt rapidly, and continue to droop several days later. They perk up when I mist the tree with the hose, but the effects do not last for long. I was thinking of using Wilt Pruf to help the leaves retain moisture. It says it will help reduce transplant shock.

My question is: Is there any downside to using Wilt Pruf on my new tree? Will it make it harder for the tree to take in moisture from its leaves, which seems to help? Or will it just keep moisture from evaporating? I'm not sure how it could do both (let moisture continue to come in while keeping moisture in).

Also, any other suggestions for helping my new tree get established? The nursery gave us a product to apply once a week to help protect the roots from transplant shock.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored