SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Paperbark, Coralbark or Autumn Moon?

lpinkmountain
18 years ago

I have a tiny yard with overhead powerlines to contend with, but since I love maples I want to at least have one in my life to shade the patio. The site has SW exposure and gets strong afternoon sun. The whole yard is positioned like that so I don't have another site option. At least the hose is near!

Right now I'm debating between three cultivars and I'd like to hear anyone's opinions and experience with these trees.

Acer griseum - paperbark maple. I'm not crazy about this one because the bark just doesn't thrill me and the leaves remind me of poison ivy. I like the form and fall leaf color of this tree, and the bark color is nice.

Acer shirasawanum - autum moon. I don't know about this tree and japanese beetles, plus I've not seen it in any local nurseries.

Coralbark maple - isn't this one Acer palmatum? I have read these are relished by japanese beetles. I like the color and leaves on this one, but the specimens I've seen look too shrubby to me, and I'm worried about it in the full sun.

Your thoughts?

The tree is going on one side of this patio, haven't narrowed it down for sure.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone