SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Twist of Lime? How do I decide?

prairie_love
14 years ago

So here is my project - part of it anyway. We have a new bed that we would like to edge completely with the same hosta. It's going to require about 40-50 plants I think. Part of the edge is in fairly heavy shade, most is half-sun/half-shade, and a part is fairly sunny (about 5 hours/day or more).

So if we do a single type of hosta it will have to be one that is sun-resistant. It should also be smallish (maybe up to 12 inches height).

I looked at the lists of Don Rawson and there is a "top 10 miniature hostas". From this list, I liked Twist of Lime the most. Then I looked at sun-resistant and it says it is sun-resistant.

But then I go to HostasDirect and it says Twist of Lime is NOT sun-resistant (and not slug-resistant either). Who do I believe?

Do any of you have experience with this hosta?

My other choice is the one my local nursery carries (I would have to mail order ToL) - Golden Tiara. But Rawson's list has it as slug-sensitive and it is not listed in the sun-resistant.

Finally, 40-50 plants is a lot. I guess my best bet would be to find one that grows pretty quickly and put in maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of what I want now, hoping to divide - in the spring if that isn't too soon.

Help! I'm overwhelmed by the choices and don't know how to proceed!

Thanks,

Ann

Comments (10)