SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

This year I am trying to get back into the melon market. When the melons are ready for market, I start getting busier at school. I don't have alot of time to do some crops, but I figure melons are a good seller and you can pick a bunch, in a short amount of time, unlike lettuce (pick, wash, sort, bag)

Many people sell big Crimson Sweet melons. Several people bring in truckloads. I am not competing with them. I am trying to listen to the customers and they want smaller melons. So I am growing personal sized 3-5 pounds up to icebox melons at 8 to 10 pounds. I don't want any bigger than this. I am also experimenting with many varieties and many colors. I am also trying out plastic mulch and succession plant. I may be biting of more than I can chew, but that is what I do best!

I had to make a planting diagram, with pictures, to make sure and plant different melons with similar looks apart from each other.

Here is the first planting of melons planting diagram.

Here is the first stop, 70 foot rows, 6 foot apart. Now that it has rained, I can get the row middles tilled and cleaned up!

Here is picture down the row, they are starting to put out true leaves.

I also planted a super small patch (10 watermelon, 10 canteloupe), on April 1st and replanted on April 15th. Here is what they look like.

As soon as I can get the plastic mulch down for the next 4 beds, I will plant them. I am also planning to plant a smaller 3rd planting around the July 1. Most of these melons are in the 60 to 70 days, so they should make it (I hope).

Jay

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services