SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slinky_gw

HELP!! At my wit's end, right about now!

slinky
16 years ago

Something is destroying all the hostas in my garden, one by one. It is infuriating beyond belief and just the thought of my yard being a free all you can eat buffet at my expense (from my wallet, my time, and my creativity and enjoyment of the plants) just makes me feel pissed!!!

The last couple of weeks, I've gone outside to check on the state of my gardens and I find a hosta slumped over. On closer inspection, I see a hole underneath where the leaves are. I pull out the leaves- sometimes they are still attached with just a tiny bit of root left. But more often than not, I just end up with a fist fill of leaves. A shaking, enraged fist! Grrr!!!!

The ones that still have some stem and root left, I've put into containers with soil and kept them watered, and they seem to be making it. They aren't getting any WORSE, at least, which I take as a good sign.

What is doing this to my hostas? I'm suspecting moles- we have tons in our yard and have tried many, many, many ways of getting rid of them. Nothing has worked and if anything they seem to be getting worse.

The lawn is one thing. But, my HOSTAS!? Aw, HEYLL NO!!!

I was actually considering digging each one up, and planting it with lots of good soil, into an empty plastic container. One that is much, much bigger than the roots currently are so it would have a little room to grow. Then replanting the plant IN the container, in the dirt. Would this solve my problem, maybe?

Also, since we have moles- the one thing we haven't tried is treating the lawn for bugs and grubs. We were afraid if we did so, the moles would just search harder for food and be forced to search for it in our garden in the form of bulbs and roots.

Please, any advice is MUCH appreciated. Thanks so much, and sorry this was so long!

Comments (13)