SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buggalinajujubee

Do I need to do anything to this maple- see picture

BuggalinaJuJuBee
18 years ago

Hi everyone! I don't know anything about the care of maple trees. I am assuming this is a Japanese Maple of some sort. Its leaves turn a beautiful red in autumn. The previous owners planted it many years ago. We have lived here for 3 years. I know it covers a pretty bay window, and I would probably have never planted a tree there if it were my choice. However, unless it is dangerous we are not about to take it out. Too much work and the tree is so healthy. That front room is our kitchen and casual eating area. I pretty much live in that room with the kids. I do appreciate the privacy provided by the tree. And also please ignore every bit of shrub or dead thing around and below it. That's all coming out soon to be replaced by azaleas. You can't see in the picture but we have strings of white lights that we turn on in the evening. It looks great whether the leaves are green or red, and give it some interest in the winter when deciduous.

Do I need to prune this tree? I hear people talking about thinning trees out. Does that apply here? I hear that maples have shallow roots. We are on a raised foundation. Is that helpful?

Thanks for your input!

{{gwi:1042541}}

Comments (5)