SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
need4nature

Need suggestions for placement of JM

need4nature
19 years ago

Hi, I ordered a japenese red maple and it is on its way. I originally thought of planting it in a pot until it gets a bit bigger, but now I'm thinking of just sticking it in the ground. My dilema is figuring out if I want it getting morning shade and afternoon sun. See I have a great place for it next to my garage and side yard. This stays shady until about 2pm and then it gets sun. There is nothing planted there yet so I am starting from scratch. I am unsure if the tree will be protected enough. I also don't know how far away from the house to plant it - since it can get up to 25' tall, it should be at least 15' away right? I guess I should get some pictures up and have you give me suggestions from there! I realize afternoon shade is better, but there really isn't any shade around except what comes from the house. Eventually when my red maples get bigger I'll have some shade! I was also thinking of maybe putting it in my backyard in front of my 3 large windows. This way I could enjoy the tree all the time - looking at it from my great room. And it would shield us from that afternoon sun, the great room heats up like a greenhouse! The problem there is making sure I have enough room for my two young boys to play. (And not to run into a young tree!) My backyard is about 48' deep and gets alot of sun. Hmmm, any suggestions are appreciated, need4nature

Comment (1)