SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

JM cultivar suggestion zone 6b eastern Kentucky

I need cultivar suggestions for JM's that can take the most shade.

My area is tucked back about 15 feet in from the edge of some fairly dense white oak, red oak, hickory woods- typical eastern Kentucky hills. It will get some east to south morning sun, but not for more that two hours tops, and occasional spatterings throughout the day.

I have an Oridono nishiki in the same area that is doing very well, so I am hoping for something that will contrast nicely with that. Hoping for a green palmatum but variegated is acceptable as I know they are better in lower light. I just hate to duplicate what I already have. Prefer weeping to upright, smaller and shrubby is good. I think I could be interested in a fan shaped leaf as well.

Eventual size not over 10 feet, but I am a great pruner/staker and already have a high maintenance yard. Winter got to -20ºF once last year though that is not common and I can protect if need be. Summers hot and humid but my woods stay fairly well ventilated. Hoping for something that will pop in the lower light portions of the day and make a stunning architectural impact as this will be a focal point in a pet cemetery. Autumn coloration is not so much an issue.

If you need more info just ask.

And thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH