SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yaeli_gw

Success with a home farm stand? Help and advice much appreciated!

Yaeli
10 years ago

I have just purchased a one acre place in central Texas (between Austin and Waco). The mini farm is actually within a neighborhood of an adorable small town (population 6,000ish) but it is not on a major highway or throughway. The woman who lived there previously (until her death) raised chickens and goats and it is set up with a large paddock/grazing area with the special goat fencing, and there is still more than half an acre for growing produce. I am planning on 2 milk goats and 2 milk sheep in addition to 6-8 chickens. I plan to do a combination of bio-intensive and square foot raised bed and container growing, at least initially, of organic fruit and vegetables. I've been growing in an urban environment in central Israel with our desert soil and I'm not expecting the soil in this region of Texas to be a whole lot better --but it certainly could not be worse!

My living expenses will be the $1600 a year in taxes on the property, utilities, staples that I can't grow myself (grain products, toiletries etc), and (organic) feed/vet care for the animals (including the 32 rescued cats that will be living there). I'm not sure yet if I will have a car or not.

I'm wondering how much income a little farm stand on the property would bring in to help cover those costs. I would be able to sell the seasonal organic produce, plant starts, fresh eggs, and what would be considered specialty cheeses (they are daily staples here) such as feta, ricotta and levana (a cheese spread sort of between a yogurt-sour cream-kind of thing that you can't find in the U.S. for love or money), and yoghurt.

Comments (9)

Sponsored