SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msarro

Baby Japanese Maple - Bunch of questions!

msarro
11 years ago

Hey everyone! My fiance and I have a beautiful Japanese maple in front of our house that we love, especially her. We'd been discussing buying another one, but were hesitating with the prices we saw at stores.

Fast forward to yesterday - I was planting impatiens and pansies around the base of the maple in our front yard when I noticed a ~2 inch tall skinny reddish plant with two big red maple leaves. It looks like something that had come from the maple had taken root! With a bunch of excitement, I did my best to scoop up under the roots of the little guy, and put him in a small-ish pot (about 9" across, and 4" deep) with some potting soil, and gave an ample watering. As of this morning it didn't look like it was wilting or anything, but its still less than 24 hours after moving it. If it still looks ok in a day or two, I'll put some mulch around it on top of the pot until it gets a bit bigger and I move it into the ground.

I've never attempted to grow a tree before from something I found growing in the ground. How sensitive are their roots? Is there any chance it will live and grow? If so, what sort of care and feeding can I expect to take it from a baby to beyond safely? Is that size pot OK until it gets a touch bigger? My fiance really loves these trees and I'd love to make her happy with another one, especially if we can take it from being just a little thing.

Comments (5)