SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nnmjdklil

overwintering Japanese Maples in sunroom?

nnmjdklil
9 years ago

Ok so I posted this question about a week ago but I didn't get any responses and that's not normal for me around these parts so I'm going to try again in case it never went through : )

I only have 1 JM now, a root-bound Viridis in a 2 gallon pot that I bought at a big box store at the beginning of summer, that I planned to put in the garden come fall. After reading up here on JMs in pots I have decided that I may instead repot it (as opposed to pot-up) and place the pot in the ground next to the house thru winter. I also have 2 more babies coming from a reputable ebay seller in the northwest (thank you Christine for the seller info!) that should be here any day now. They are both just 2 year trees that I don't expect to be bigger than a foot tall when they arrive-- a 'Koto No Ito' and a 'Shishigashira'.

My question is... is the ground the best place for my containers? With how harsh last winter was, I am getting a little nervous. I don't want to lose any brand new beautiful (but tiny) trees! I have another option here that I wanted to run by you experts out there:

We have a sunroom. It is not heated and was very cold last winter. Cold enough (in Maryland, near Baltimore) that I brought all my houseplants into the house over winter and plan to again. If I had to guess I'd say it got to a low in the 30's. But I'm thinking-- if a small tree/in a container/put in the ground, has a good chance under *normal* Maryland winter circumstances, of survival outside all winter, then I wonder if it would be even better to keep it in the sunroom once it gets cold instead? It'd still get cold all winter, just not *as* cold and would be protected from the frosts and snow that could potentially be really bad. I just read somewhere on this forum that repotting should only be done in spring, *IF* the tree will be exposed to 15� temperatures. Well if my containers are in the ground here, that will be a strong possibility.

I could keep them outside until what, December? And then I could bring them in for a few months and then either plant them in the ground in spring or keep them in their containers, outside through summer and wait til next fall for planting.

Am I being crazy? And if not, how would I go about watering them in the sunroom? Not much, I assume? I've read about people putting theirs in the garage and it seems like the sun from the sunroom might make that a better place for them..

Any insight greatly appreciated, as usual : )

Oh and while I have you all, what's your favorite tool for pruning JM's? I've taken some branches off my Viridis with my regular Smith&Hawken pruning shears but after reading and watching some videos, I'm wondering if I should buy some concave cutters or knob cutters? What about spraying your tools first- everyone really do this? I've seen anything from old school Lysol to specific fungicides and bactericides. It's kind of mind-boggling. I never used any of these things before on trees at my last house but I'm realizing now that that was child's play on trees that I didn't spend money on or research at all and while I didn't kill anything, I may have just always been lucky!

Thank you, friends ; )

Comments (13)