SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idiothe

ain't that the way it goes?!

idiothe
13 years ago

Getting ready for the convention... So we've been working 14 hour days, getting every friend we can think of to come by and weed for a couple of hours... trying to assess what we can and can't get done before the convention...

and today we had an early visitor - a convention attendee from England staying with a Twin Cities hosta friend... and he was quite impressed except when we got to some of my showiest plants - we started seeing little holes... lots of little holes... some hostas affected a little, some positively riddled.

And here's the kicker - I know all, or most, of this happened in the last 36 hour. I was out there yesterday taking pictures and measurement for a possible post on "largest leaves" - and I know Victory looked fine yesterday morning. Today, lots of little holes.

Not slugs... often up on the highest leaves, not on the lower, often not even all the way through the leaves... little tiny pinpricks in a lot of the hostas... and spread out over a quarter acre.

We've had holes in the hostas... always expect a few, more later in the season - but much much later... and have never seen such a rapid onslaught. My best guess is some kind of insect "hatch" with lots of little buggers doing lots of damage across a wide area. Wondering about something like a whole hatch of thrips or somesuch just savaging my plants.

Discovered this close to dusk, so took the only insect management plan I had available - some Cutter's Backyard Spray for mosquitoes and a wide range of common pests... hose-end sprayer. Sprayed it around as best I could...

Anybody know anything that might help me here?!

Comments (28)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH