SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

Things ain't always what they seem

splinter1804
15 years ago

Hi everyone

Some time ago I posted a message on this forum about what to call some Ae. Lueddemanniana seedlings which were the result of seed from a plant with a name tag identifying it as Ae. Luddemanniana Mend forma Alvarez. I have since found out that it was wrongly named and the correct name is probably Ae. Mend Inverta

Since then I have noticed a percentage of the seedlings (about 18 in all) showing various shades of red coming through on the leaves not unlike the colour of the leaves on the plants of Ae. Alvarez, shown on the FCBS site by Shirley Grills- Konefal's "Nature Collection"

At first I thought I'd really cracked it in a big way until Kerry told me she had a suspicion that all was not as it seemed.

On checking more closely I noticed all of these plants were putting up multiple small pups which I thought was a bit unusual. On looking closer still, I found that the plants in question all had rotted in the centre and the coloured leaves were all part of the dying process. What a bummer!

When trying to identify the cause, the common denominator was that these plants had all been hanging just beneath the roof of the shade house (about 18") and I suspect that, plus one very hot day in January (43 degrees C) probably boiled the little bit of water in the centre and cooked them. All of the remaing plants which were lower down on a bench are unharmed; no coloured leaves but no rot either.

Can anyone suggest other possible causes?

Before anyone suggests drips from CCA treated timber residue, that's not the case either, as I was caught that way once before and don't have treated timber overhead any more.

Please put on your thinking caps, all the best, Nev.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions