SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjagg_gw

Pruning a newly planted Maple

Mjagg
10 years ago

I have recently planted an Autumn Blaze maple in my back yard. I purchased the tree from a local nursery. It's quite tall, approximately 8'-10', but it's still very small in girth. It's just a tall, lanky sapling. I'm curious about when I should begin pruning the tree. It looks like it may have been topped as a small tree in the nursery, and as a result has branched out into three competing leaders. They are all 3 of equal size and I'm wondering if it should be pruned back to one main leader and how and when to go about that. There are also some smaller branches growing lower on the trunk. I've planted this tree in the center of my back yard, and I'm hoping that it will someday grow to be a large shade tree. I'm wanting to make sure that it grows in a healthy way with a strong structure. I'm hoping to achieve the typical "shade tree" look for the tree. The tree was dormant when I planted it, but is now fully leaved out. It seems to be healthy and the leaves are very large. I'm in northern Arkansas, and I believe that is zone 7. I'd greatly appreciate any advice on when I should begin pruning this tree and how much at a time do you take off when pruning?

Thanks,

MJ

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH