SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

Something to consider (sowing seeds)

15 years ago

Not exactly growing under lights but it may be of value.

For background, I'm not a professional grower, owner of a nursery or anything remotely connected. But I do hope to sell some plants in the spring to finance my habit of growing more plants. My spreadsheet shows about 25 plants, mostly tomatoes and peppers but with some cucumbers, peppers and to a a lesser extend herbs (basil and cilantro) in the mix.

When you buy a packet of seeds, you normally get anywhere from 15-45 seeds and end up sowing five or less, ten if you are raising a big crop. Fill cups or seed cells with potting soil, drop a seed in it and hope it sprouts.

I remembered my roots as a tobacco grower when dad sowed thousands of seed in a bed. Most of them were tobacco seeds, but he always set aside the end of one bed for tomatoes.

So I decided to try that. Grabbed a small Tupperware bowl, one that was maybe 5" square, filled the bottom with about one inch of potting soil, sprinkled seeds over it, then added another thin layer of soil. Watered and set aside to sprout.

What I got was about 25-50 plants. So far, I've only tried to transplant ones with two leaves, this week I will try ones with two sets (4 leaves) and then next week ones with additional sets of leaves. They are going into 1x2" cells as well as 3" sq. pots. So far, not of them have died (transplanted eight plants) and are looking great, though I did use a solution that included the nuits one uses when trying to clone a plant - it encourages root growth.

The advantage is that I can bury most of the stem in soil, don't have to worry about cells or containers where the seed never sprouted and can pick the healthiest plants.

As for the trays to sprout them in, go to Micky D's or Wendy's and grab a burger to go. It's perfect for germinating seeds, though it helps to poke a few holes in the bottom for watering. The lid can be closed to keep the "chamber" warm and moist and removed once the plants germinate.

I figure I can germinate 1600 seeds in about an 8 sq. ft. area.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Comments (12)