SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philothea_gw

Zombie weeds: covering soil but sowing seeds?

philothea
11 years ago

I can kill the weeds, but I can't keep them dead. They keep coming back, and a lot of them seem to have a lot more root than a baby plant should have.

The soil is very clay-like, or rather cement-like, so it is worthless to hoe--it just shreds the weed a little so I go to pull it out and half the garden comes up with it!!!!

It's like a huge catch-22!

So I covered the ground with newspaper, but the wind shifts it around a lot--there is a lot of wind here--and I cannot figure out how to sow seeds in the soil if there is newspaper on top.

I am seriously discouraged about gardening at this point. We have put in so much work over the years, and have never gotten a good crop of anything except weeds and seeds. I just seem to be extremely ****bad**** at this, except for the seed part. If it's not beans, then just a handful.

Any hints on this apparently mysterious aspect of gardening would be greatly appreciated, esp by my long-suffering family.

PS: I tried starting the seeds indoors, but those little cells are too little, and the whole project ends up all over the place, with water spilling and not enough light so leggy plants... We don't have a really good place to do that, esp if we want a lot of something small.

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!