SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Which patio/deck shade tree?

18 years ago

Ok folks, here is a challenge for all you maple fans. I live in zone 5b, nort of Indianapolis in an established neighborhood with mature trees, so excessive wind is not a problem. On the south side of my wooden deck is currently a honeylocust tree that needs to be replaced (small leaves get into deck, attracts tent caterpillars and Japanese beetles, nice tree but totally wrong place). For a replacement I am looking for a tree that will not get much taller than 25ft and not much wider than 20ft. It will be exposed to full sun all day, but it's also not directly in front of a wall, so no excessive heat buidl-up beyond the normal outside temperature. I am looking for something that does not attract those caterpillars nor the Japanese beetles too much. It should have interesting foliage and/or pleasing trunk/branch structure and overall shape. I have thought about A. japonicum 'Aconitifolium', or A. palmatum 'Katsura', but I am completely open to other maple suggestions (Japanese, North American or otherwise) as well. Please let me know what you would plant if you had the choice. Thanks in advance for all your ideas and suggestions.

Marc

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH