SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How tall typical Asiatic lilies?

I have a much-enlarged perennial bed this year, and bought a lot to fill it fast (do I really need an excuse??) At my local Sam's Club in April I bought a box of 18 Asiatic lily bulbs in mixed pinks and purples at a price I could not turn down. I assumed I knew how tall they would get, based on past Asiatics I have grown. I was assuming about 2 feet or more. When I opened the box and planted them I discovered many had already sprouted, some stems as long as 8 inches. I imagined this would impact their performance for this year. The ones that had sprouted the most are just limping along, hopefully gathering strength for next year.

Now many have bloomed, but height is only about 14 inches. I had planted them among plants that are about 20 inches, so of course the blooms are "buried" in the other foliage, and can't be easily seen. The colors are marvelous, though, and the quality of the bloom excellent.

Is this a typical height for most Asiatics? If so, I'd better move them. The ones I had before did not survive the move to the new bed, so I have no current point of reference. Or do you think they are short due to having sprouted in the box, and will be taller next year?

Thanks!

Comments (2)