SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taral_gw

Complete gardening newbie - bought some asiatic lilies - help!

TaraL
18 years ago

Hi,

I am a complete and total newbie. My yard is, sadly, a blank slate. Huge lot, sunny, 1 medium-sized oak tree, flat as a pancake. It has a lot of potential, but when we bought this house last year, the previous owners had lived here for 13 years and never done a *thing* to improve the yard. I'm learning little by little, trying to slowly put in a couple of trees, shrubs, flowers, etc.

So I bought 5 asiatic lillies the other day from a good nursery. They are about 2 or 2.5 feet tall and alrwady have buds. A couple have started blooming. I have a few questions:

1. How far apart from each other should I plant the 5 lillies?

2. I plan to kill the grass by smothering it with wet newspaper, then add soil on top the paper, plant the lillies, and cover the soil with cedar mulch. Then, I'll add edging to define the bed. Does this sound like a decent idea?

I have a couple friends who have planted lillies without amending the soil or anything and they have done great, so I was planning on just putting them in the ground.

3. Are Oriental lillies much harder to grow than asiatic? I like asiatic, but I **looooovee** Oriental lillies. They're my favorite type of flower, and I'd love to grow some.

4. If I made a bigger bed, would it be possible to plant the lillies towards the rear of the bed and start some zinnias from seed in the front of the bed?

(Again - complete newbie here - I have NO idea if I will be able to grow zinnas from seed put directly in the ground, or if they can be planted near lillies. My goal was to have the lillies blooming now, and the zinnas bloom after the lillies have finished for the season, later in the summer.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for any help you can give me.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County