SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluederby21

Newbie Lily grower - Please help!

bluederby21
12 years ago

Greetings fellow lily growers! I'm a complete lily newb and I need a lot of guidance :) I recently purchased a new home about 4 months ago and since then it has been a crazy productive Spring completely redoing the landscaping and getting my dream garden going.

One of my mail order suppliers (since I've provided her so much business) rewarded me with an insane discount on about 60 lily bulbs. (They're getting ready to turn off all their coolers for the season so they had to get rid of everything!)

I never realized lilies were so pretty so I selected a hand-full of different kinds. She's giving me the following buds:

12x Casa Blancas (white)

3x Cobra Orientals (red)

3x Copper Trumpets (orange)

9x Elodie Double Asiatics (beautiful pink)

3x Golden Stargazers (banana yellow blend)

3x Muscadet Orientals (white w/ pink blush)

3x Mystery (pale pink)

3x Pink Trumpets (dark pink)

3x Purple Princes (dark purple)

9x Shocking Orienpets (golden yellow w/ burgundy red)

3x Sphinx Double Asiatics (red)

6x Stargazer Orentals (red / white blend)

I'm going to be giving away about a third of these as gifts to friends and family and the remainder I'm keeping for my self. So here are my questions.

I reside in Orlando (zone 9B) and my house faces the NW so I'm leaning towards planting the majority in my backyard that receives morning sun and late afternoon shade.

1. Can I plant all these now or should I wait until the Fall? If I do have to wait until Fall is keeping them in the fridge sufficient enough in keeping them dormant or should I do more?

2. I'm leaning towards starting them all out in pots until they grow and then transplanting them to different spots in my yard next Spring. Would this be alright or should they go directly into Earth?

3. How far apart should I plant groups of bulbs? What's the best plant mixture to use as far as TopSoil, MiracleGro, Peat Moss, Perlite, Compost, Maneuer Etc.

4. Watering Schedule - How often should I water after they are first planted, after I see new growth, and after they are established?

4. What's the best (if any) fertilizer to give lilies and how often should I apply it?

5. Do I need to spray any insecticides and if so how often?

6. Is there such a thing as "pruning" lilies and what is the proper way to do it?

7. Do I need to do any type of winter protection? Our winters are relatively short here lasting from late November until early February with day temperatures being around 45 to 60 degrees and sometimes as cold as the lower 30s during nights.

That's all I can think of for now. I apologize for the long-winded post and if all this information can be found elsewhere in the forum if someone could just provide me a link to the post it would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living