SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkiker

newbie needs help (Spearmint and general light)

mkiker
16 years ago

Hello, I'm totally new to this site and to gardening in general. The only thing I've been able to grow before is mold, and I'm told that doesn't count since it's not a real plant. Anyway for some odd reason I've found that a few green things in the house helps my allergies. Don't ask why, it was an accident that I found out (an unwanted plant as a gift in my bedroom). I'm starting easy with spearmint, a Hosta with gold edges of unknown variety, and a Golden Pothos. Soon to add a Cast Iron Plant. Help me evaluate my plants lighting please. My windows are sealed and insulated so sunlight need not apply.

Hosta - living room has four 15w compact fl. lights 2 daylight 2 warm white. I find that to be the most pleasing to my eye. There's also a 15 watt daylight in a lamp that illuminates the wall and plant about 6 inches away from it. It seems okay but it's new. The lamp is on all the time but the room light is sporadic.

Pothos - my bedroom, again the same room light as before with a 15 watt daylight above it at about 4 feet. It gets the lamp about 16 hrs and room light maybe 10, maybe less. It seems happy and is making new leaves that have good coloring.

Spearmint - bedroom in a cubby hole. Has two 15 watt fl tubes about 6 inches above tallest plant and 1 foot above top of the pot. That light is on 24hrs. One light is a GE Plant and Aquarium and the other is an unknown brand that is narrower spectrum, a purplish pink color. This one may not be happy. It got leggy because I only had one light working, I've recently gotten off my heiny and hooked the second one up. Will this be enough or do I need to toss the spearmint (more light is not an option, the cubby hole is limited). To complicate matters the spearmint has shown some wilting that I think is due to overwattering. I told you I'm new, I didn't know you had to remove the drain watter. I assumed that the drain was there to STORE water.

When I get the Cast Iron Plant I have no idea where I'll put it or how to get light to it. I'll figure something out but I'm told they don't need much light or long quantities of it. (crossing fingers for luck)

Comments (3)