SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Went for dahlias, bought lilies

(Partial cross post to Bulbs)

I had no business buying any more lilies now, but thats never stopped me before, so why should it now?

Never mind that I must have at least 200. Never mind that I have not seen the 25 or so I planted last fall bloom yet. There is always the chocolate not yet tasted to enjoy. I had an appointment not too far away from a Home Despot that is not in my neighborhood. Last fall I scored a few things there I had never found in my own area. I thought, well, maybe, IÂll just stop by to see if the dahlias are out yet.

So hereÂs what I got:

Commander in Chief ÂredÂnot labeled as such, but I think itÂs an asiaticÂ42 -48"

Triumphator Âwhite with deep pink centerÂtrumpetÂ3 to 4 feet

Pink Heaven Âlight solid pinkÂtrumpetÂ.3 to 4 feet

I think I remember people saying Commander in Chief was good. I like reds that are not orangey. If this one IS orangey, please tell me! I moved a dozen + Monte Negro last year because they were the wrong shade of red. I need reds that can get along with pink, which means cool blue-reds, not hot orange reds. I picked the least sprouted of the packages, but it was sprouted. I will have to figure out how to slow them down. Store them on the cold basement floor? Even colder garage?

Triumphator and Pink Heaven were bagged together, labeled as Trumpet. They didnÂt look like Trumpets to me, judging from the picture. Looking through the Brent and BeckyÂs catalog at home I saw them both in there, labeled as LOÂs, Longiflorum-Oriental hybrids. I donÂt have any LOs. (Well, until now). I donÂt even have any trumpets except one I planted in fall 08 (Pink Perfection). It grew OK last summer (short, 3 flowers), but it is probably too soon to tell if it really likes it where I put it. I must spend way too much time looking at lily pictures if I can tell an LO from a trumpet when I donÂt even own any. (Note to self: Consider turning these powers of observation to something of greater use, like finding missing cats or IDÂing weeds at the forest preserve.)

If anyone can tell me more about what they DO like, please do. ArenÂt trumpets picky? What about LOÂs? IÂm Zone 5, clay soil, though amended and I have some (not all) raised beds.

Gosh, itÂll be a long time before I can plant these. I have to see where the old ones are first. The LOÂs are a bit sprouted too.

Also got:

Canna Durban Â.orange flowerÂred/gold/green striped leavesÂshort, at 30"

Daylily El Desperado Â.pale yellow with wine eye and a little wine outline on some petals.

IÂve never successfully grown cannas and gotten them to bloom. I picked this because it has nice leaves, so if blooms never show up, itÂll be alright.

I canÂt say WHY I bought the daylily. I have never bought a bagged hardware store daylily before. I recognized the name and the picture and remembered that I had liked it before when I saw other peopleÂs pictures.

I checked all the bags in the bin, squinted through the green plastic, and picked one obviously alive but not too long leaved yet. I picked one that had a great air of enthusiasm, yet did not appear to be too reckless.

Dahlias: Oh, yes, that WAS what I went there forÂ

Garden Wonder ÂredÂdecorativeÂ30"

StarÂs Favorite Âpink and creamÂcactusÂ.40"

Strawberry Ice ÂpinkÂ.dinnerplateÂ.36-48"

Vancouver Âstreaky FuchsiaÂdinnerplateÂ.36 Â 48"

Sky Angel Âwhite with purple tipsÂdecorativeÂ36-48"

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting