SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiq_gw

Lily & Dahlia Questions

susiq
18 years ago

Lilies first:

Some of my first year lilies have already bloomed. When can I dig & divide them? OR, Since they ARE first year lilies, do I/must I keep them where they are so they can get bigger? I want more, "instantly"!

IF I were able to order more lilies right now, or scale the existing ones, would they grow and bloom before Nov. 15? Is it possible to get 2nd & 3rd crops out of them by staggered planting times? Or will they ONLY bloom early summer for Asiatics, a little later for Orientals? I'm asking this because I know lilies are offered for sale in early fall and in spring; is that just marketing ploys for the vendors, or is there a benefit to growers? I'm certainly in an area where I can keep them in ground year round.

Now to Dahlias:

Is it too unthinkable to transplant some of my Karma Dahlias right now? It's HOT here, low 90's every day, lots of humidity, and technically, not the best time for ANY transplanting. However, some of mine are VERY short because I planted them where there's more shade than I realized, and I'm VERY nervous about their future stem length and production. Six inch stems aren't what I was hoping for! I've got til aprox. Nov. 15 before my first frost, so I should have lots of time for them to get over the transplanting and grow some more.

I'm sure I or others will have more questions, but that's it for the moment.

Thanks,

Susi

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths