SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
binkin_gw

New gardener, hostas under maple tree

binkin
16 years ago

Hello. This is my first post to the forums, so I hope I don't make any inexcusable errors.

First, an introduction: My fiance and I recently moved to Adrian, MI (I noticed ken_adrian's posts) and I have a yard for the first time. It's a rental property but we'll probably be here at least 3-4 more years, and I'd like to put in a garden without spending a whole ton of money.

We have a large maple tree in the back yard, and the entire shaded area under it is completely bare. The roots are close to the surface, and the soil is like concrete. I don't know how much I can turn the soil over but could certainly try to do it in patches. The area is currently absolutely hideous and I'd like to plant it with hostas.

I figured it's not a good time to plant right now because of the heat, so it may be a good time to prepare the soil. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I thought I would try to dig out what I can to a depth of maybe 6". I can get free compost from the city, and I had planned to mix it in along with peat. The area is dry as, well, dirt, so I thought I'd water the dirt for a while after amending it. I am fairly sure the soil is mostly clay but am doing the shake-it-in-a-jar test today.

Also, I am checking the FAQ but if anyone from the area can recommend a place to get a few inexpensive hostas to start, I would appreciate it. Large hosta may do well for me as I have a huge space to fill and am planning other areas in the yard for shrubs and herbaceous flowers.

Finally, can they be planted in the fall?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus