SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

What would you have done differently

greenelbows1
19 years ago

if you'd had better information? My example: I planted Thunbergia grandiflora (sky flower) having read it would grow 10-15 feet tall. I had read if you wanted to grow vines put up a telephone pole, and when I had to take out a diseased tree I had the tree guy take out the top and the branches and leave a 'telephone pole' for me to grow a vine on, and planted this really lovely thunbergia. Well--I guess if I butchered it regularly, like every month, I could keep it below 15 feet, but I don't, and it has overgrown the 'pole', which rotted out long ago but is completely surrounded by vine, and it has mostly taken over a 25 year old chinese pistache I adore and a very large loquat of about the same age. On the other hand, if I had read the very reliable garden book that tells me it is only hardy to 60F I probably wouldn't have planted it and would miss the beauty of what I call my personal kudzu. Guess it's a good thing it gets knocked back by the cold or you wouldn't be able to find me. I'd still plant it I think, but somewhere else. What would you like to warn others about?

Comments (7)

Sponsored