SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
icemanfargo

newest Newby seeking new system advice

icemanfargo
17 years ago

I've been inspired to try hydroponics after a behind the scenes tour at "The Land". I've read everything on the web until my eyes bleed. The conclusion I've come to is to "just try something".

I'm building a new system and I'd like some feedback.

I'm going to be growing outside on a deck and the growing season is short (zone 3), with wind much of the time.

I also travel quite a bit and would be away for a week straight about 1/3 of the time.

Tomatoes/peppers are the initial goal, with a little lettuce action on the side in a separate pond or NFT system. I'm not looking to build the cheapest thing on the block, but don't want to spend big bucks just to play around, either. I'm a dirt gardener, but tired of the whims of the rainfall and bugs and would like to try something else.

Here is the proposal, based on an Ebb & Flow. (roughly like the Ebb & Grow system -- like the idea, just kinda big for me right now). I have one 5 gallon bucket that will be the flood "tray" and into that I'd like to put another 5 gallon bucket with holes in the bottom and some kind of medium in there. initial plans would be for a 3-6 pot system.

My questions are:

1. is a 5 gallon bucket of rocks (or whatever) too big for tomato plants? would a 3 gallon bucket be better? would 10 inch netbasket be better yet? Do nets work in E&F systems?

2. would an airstone in the bottom of the bucket running 24/7 be of any great benefit?

3. would some kind of drip system be better. If yes, all the same bucket questions start over again.

4. do the roots need to be contained within the top bucket? (not for nets I assume)

suggestions on products by name would help me a great deal such as testers, pumps, etc. Hints about what to stay away from, too... Everyone has the best stuff! There are no hydro stores around here. All the reading I've done has confused me more that I've learned.

Right now I'm trying to sprout things to learn how long it takes me to kill it. I've got an old "A" John Deere but haven't figured out how to work that into the system. :-)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals