SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ethnobotany

pH Issues NFT

ethnobotany
11 years ago

Hello all

I am baffled by my experience using general hydroponics flora three part series so far.

The reservoir I am using is 27 gallons, but I have it filled with 18 gallons of water. Only one plant has its roots to the bottom of the gully, all others are getting big leaves but havn't yet sent out larger tap roots yet.

About 4 days ago I made 1000ppm (1.6 EC) solution using my GH flora series nutrients mixing as directed on the directions from GH. Added 10mL grow per gallon, 7.5mL of micro, 2.5mL of bloom. The pH was about 6.6-6.7 after mixing these nutrients in the rez. I added 30, yes 30 mL of GH pH down to level it out at almost exactly 6.0 pH.

Now here is the important part. Two days later I check the pH and it drifted up and beyond where it was after adding nutes, all the way to 6.85 pH. Was pretty weirded out by this since I had to add 30 mL of pH down to get it to 6.0 pH and there is only one small tomato plant with roots in the solution....

The changes continue. Yesterday the pH went up to 6.5. I added 20 mL of pH down to try and counteract this issue and that brought it down to 5.65. Today I check the pH and it is up to 6.2!!

WHAT THE FUDGE...

There is no way I should be adding this much pH down. At this rate I am adding at least 100 mL pH down per week into an 18 gallon rez with only 1 plant using nutrients.

Any ideas? Help? Why would this happen, especially with the general hydro nutrients. I thought they were supposed to be very stable?

Comments (7)