SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadoh6

Germination questions: when to uncover, fertilize, circulate air

shadoh6
14 years ago

I know it's a strange time to be germinating seeds, but since I plan on an indoor only growing season, why not?

This is my second time around germinating seeds (don't ask about the first time, sad memories), and I think I have gotten off to a pretty good start. Here is my set up.

6 early jalapeno, 6 tomatillo planted in 12 cell starter tray, filled with 1/2 coco peat 1/2 perlite. Soaked seeds 24 hours before planting.

Trays placed on bookshelf, bottom heated using lamp beneath shelf, 2 T8 cool white fluourescents on top for light. 4-5 hours of ventilation by cocking the lid sideways each day.

Tomatillo sprouted 4 days in, 2 died after poking out. Jalapeno are all sprouted now.

Now that you've been updated, here are my questions:

When should I totally remove the tray cover? (I think I killed the two dead tomatillos by leaving it uncovered for too long)

Should I fertilize with a weak solution soon? (I researched that a balanced 1/4 strength fertilizer should be used once a week after the second week, but all I have right now is 30-10-10 powder, and 14-14-14 'controlled release')

I also read that a fan should be blowing on the seedlings for both air circulation and to stimulate ethylene gas that leads to sturdier stem growth. Is this necessary for a good, sturdy plant?

An extra bonus question: I also read that you can stimulate this ethylene gas by lightly brushing the seedlings with your hand (I've been using tweezers). Is this good/bad/silly/irresponsible?

Whew! Hope to hear your responses soon!

Comments (5)