SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jentz_gw

New to hydroponics. Need help with DWC!

Jentz
11 years ago

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to the whole hydroponics thing. Well the whole gardening thing really. I am in the process of setting up my own Recirculating DWC system. My seedlings have already been started and want to get the system up and running before I have to transplant them. I have a few questions for you guys!

I already bought the growing containers I need, Which are 11 18 gallon totes and 14 5 gallon buckets.

The plants I have are rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro, lettuce, kale, romaine lettuce, cherry tomato, carrots, onions, Marvel peas and bell pepper.

Inside the 5 gallon buckets I plane to put the bigger and taller plants in, such as the tomatoes and peppers, one per bucket.

The smaller plants like the lettuces and herbs will go inside the 18 gallon totes, 6 plants per tote.

1)Will 6 plants per tote be okay?

2)How many GPH of water does each plant need?

3)What is the flow rate each plant need?

4)What size reservoir?

5)How big a pump?

6)How big do the net pots need to be for each plant?

7)How big does each of the plants root systems get?

8)What should the water level be in each bucket and tote?

9)Where should the return line hole be on the bucket and totes?

I've read that hair should be pumped into the water so the roots can get oxygen.

10)Should the airstones be in the reservoir or inside each of the grow containers?

11)How much air needs to be supplied?

12)What size pump is required?

I believe those are all the questions I have. If I think of anymore I'll let you know. Any help is very much appreciated! :)

Comments (12)