SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kkamm_gw

New Hydroponic Grower

kkamm
10 years ago

Hey everyone! Been reading a lot on this forum and decided to dive into hydroponics. I have always had a garden in my backyard, but due to a neighbors tree growing taller the past several years, my only area for a garden is shaded now for most of the day.

I have two different systems I started recently.

First one is the rubbermaid DWC system. (Started 4/1)
6 x 3" netpots
Basic air bubbler
2 x T5 Flouro's (18x6 schedule)
Hydroton medium
General Hydroponics Flora Series
Tomato, jalapeno,bell,strawberries

Second one is ebb and flow (Started 4/5)
4x4 grow tent
3x3 flood table
Hydroton
4 port bubbler
450 watt Black Dog LED (18x6 schedule)
~40 gallon res
Floods every 2 hours for 15 min with light, twice with no light
General Hydroponics Flora Series
Tomato, basil,jalapeno,bells,cilantro
Will add some scorpion peppers and more herbs once they all sprout and are ready to go in.

So far, so good with few exceptions
DWC:
One Strawberry plant is not doing too well. I think I messed up when originally transferring from the soil growing container. I dont think I got the roots in the right position in the net pot when i planted it. Roots are brown and not growing well.

One tomato was not going good, so last night i cut off the main stem and hoping it will shoot off a new main from one of the others. Looking good so far. I think this plant went through the same issue as the strawberry, but seems to be doing better now.

EnF:
I have one tomato that looks like it got nute burn. From what I can tell by reading through forums, probably too much nitrogen. This is evident in the other plants (especially the tomato) where the leaves are curling under. At least that is my assumption after reading much online and in this forum.

Let me know what you think. Im new to this, learning a lot, and welcome any expertise you all may have to offer.

This post was edited by kkamm on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 16:28

Comments (14)