SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wtienken

Questions: Jalapenos and Habaneros grown indoors, hydroponically.

wtienken
16 years ago

What is the typical recommended relative humidity for growing jalapenos and habaneros in a greenhouse type setting? I assume that since these plants grow in hot, dry climates in nature, it is not really a big issue. In addition, it is my understanding that both jalapenos and habaneros reach maturity in approximately 75 days. How many days, approximately, do blooms usually being to appear for habaneros and jalapenos? See below for background information and links to details.

Background:

I have four jalapeno and two habanero plants that I have grown from seed. I started them on the 10th of September. I transferred them to an ebb-and-flow system 2 weeks later. Just yesterday, I moved them into an autopot setup (10" pots using gravity-fed sub-irrigation with a smart valve that only re-fills the tray when it is completely dry mimicking the natural wet/dry cycle of rainfall) in a 55% to 45% ratio of perlite and coco-coir with a 1" top dressing of LECA. They are doing well. The jalapenos are about 8-10 inches tall and the habaneros are about 4-5 inches tall. I would have expected them to be a bit bigger by now, but I have been less-than-eager to raise the PPM of fertilizer in my system.

Presently, they are being fed with approximately 1100-PPM nutrient mix. This is the recommended PPM from the manufacturer of my nutrient mix following the drain-to-waste program for growth phase although there is no waste. I can bump it up a bit to their "aggressive growth" strength, but I do not want to over-fertilize. I use Flora Nova series nutrients supplemented with Floralicious Plus from General Hydroponics and a low dose of Cal-Mag Plus from Botanicare to supplement the lack of Ca and Mg in RO water. They look very good  nice and green, no leaf curls or discoloration. The new growth jalapeno leaves appear a bit wrinkly, but I assume that is how they look when they first appear anyway.

The relative humidity ranges between 33% and 38% and the temperature ranges 78-82 degrees during the "day" cycle (17 hours of HID lighting via a 400W metal halide grow lamp in a 3Â X 3Â indoor greenhouse) and ranges 68-72 degrees during the "night" cycle. I will be switching to a 400W HPS grow lamp when it is time to transition to bloom.

If you need further details, please let me know I have links to all of the above items mentioned in my email, but the "spam filter" on this website is preventing me from posting them. Thanks!

Walter Tienken

wtienken@usa.net

Comments (11)