SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicavanderhoff_gw

I've been wondering

jessicavanderhoff
14 years ago

can plants get oxygen on a separate portion of their roots than they get water from?

I have the old version of the aerogarden, and it doesn't seem like there's an airstone. There's a water pump that pumps the nutrient solution through the little holes where the plants sit, and I guess this would oxygenate the nutrient solution a little bit, but it doesn't seem like it would do much. I'm wondering if the plant gets most of its oxygen through the top portion of the roots, which is open to the air (the gap between the lid and the surface of the nutrient solution).

I'm curious whether anyone has tried a completely stationary hydro setup like this. I understand that for best production, you'd want to add extra oxygen to the nutrient solution even if the roots take in oxygen from the air, but am curious about this concept for small-scale stuff, like keeping a plant at the office, and growing on my deck next summer (has to be low-budget, and there's no electricity hookup outside).

I may have to give it a try, but thought I'd ask for advice first, in case anyone has tried and failed.

{{gwi:1014653}}

Comments (5)