SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rugby10_gw

Drip system, and Light... Advise/Opinions wanted!

rugby10
18 years ago

Hello all,

I hope everyone had a great Holiday! Pray for those less fortunate! and don't get to bored reading my diatribe.

I have a few questions regarding my proposed set up, and I hope some of you can help. I will explain my proposed set-up and I will have build pictures as the project progresses.

I live in a small studio apt. and the growing season is close to an end here. I wanted to try my hand at a small or micro Hydro set-up for Beans, Peppers, and Strawberries. Also need to overwinter my tropical Bonsai, and impress my friends so they keep on being my friends... Just kidding, but I hope it turns out to be cool.

I'm working on a budget as I'm a student in Emergency Medicine.

My system: Recirculating Drip. I'm going to use two Rubbermaid Roughneck storage totes (10 Gallon/37.9L) made with LDPE (for the safety factor). One for the reservoir/Pump housing, and the other as a tray.

Totes (Home Depot) $5.37 ea.

The tray will be comprised of; 6 x 3.5" mesh pots filled with Hydroton's expanded clay pellets set into and Supported by the lid. The lid will be reinforced with two pieces of .5" PVC tube.

Mesh pots (local hydro store) $.35 ea.

PVC (home depot) $1.97 for 5'

Hydroton Clay Pellets (local hydro store) $5.99 for 1L bag.

A Rio 600 Pump will deliver the nutes/H2O via .5" hose to an outlet spider attachment in the center of the tote. The spider (AKA .5" bubbler) is a cap with 6 x .25" connectors and a .625" I.D. (inside diameter AKA Female) threaded inlet. Connecting the .5" pump side hose to the spider required; a slip fit .5" male end with an .625" O.D. (outside diameter AKA male) threaded head (AKA .5" MIPT connector). Total head on the pump is 18" which yeilds about 140GPH according to the Rio chart.

Pump (aquarium store) $14.99

Spider (Home Depot) $3.29

.5" Connector (Home Depot) $1.59

Air:

I had an old air pump laying around. I will add it to the reservoir to pump air 24/7 via walmart diffuser stone.

Small fan to circulate air around the plants.

Temp/Humidity for last three days;

max: 76.8F

min: 68.3F

Humidity expressed as % or H20 in Air:

Max: 37%

Min: 29%

Light: Florescent or HID? This one had me reading every site on the web I could find (including the Illegal growers). I still had problems putting all the information together in my head. There seems to be a compromise with everything you pick.

These are my observations; (please help and correct me where I'm wrong)

Florescent lights will work. The daylight bulbs or those in the 5000K range or higher seem to produce the best results. You need to position the light very close the the lamp for it to be effective as light intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point source. The total lumen output of Florescent lights is less than that of HID.

HID's such as MH and HPS are the preferred choices of most indoor hydroponic growers, as they put out an amazing amount if light and are efficient for comm. operations. The drawback is the price to obtain an HID fixture, the relatively high cost of replacement bulbs.

Of course there will be dissension on a forum like this. I wanted to believe that Florescent would be the best choice for me... mainly because they are cheaper. I read that many growers do all out Florescent grows with great success. One could make the argument that Florescent lights are THE tried and true method, after all they started the whole thing.

Here is my situation; Now you have some choices when it comes to type of bulb, length, Output; VHO, HO, etc. But I don't have these options... my studio is 175 sq ft. Also, I'm on a budget!

My My tote (see above) is 22" x 14.5". I need 24" fixtures or smaller. So, 2 - 24" x 2 bulbs to get adequate light coverage (one for each row of plants). As a basic rule of thumb I've read is 20-50W per square foot. Or I could get CFLs in that range as well.

my specs with 2 x 24" fixture w/ 4 F24T12/Daylight/High Output bulbs from 1000bulbs.com would be;

35w x 4 = 140w

1,134 lumens (mean) x 4 = 4536 lumens in the 6500K range

1w = 32.4 lumens

Price:

24" fixtures (Home depot) $18.88 ea. x 2 = $40 something with tax.

Bulbs (1000bulbs.com) $5.50 ea. = $22 something with tax.

Troubles:

Hanging chains

Less elegant and clunky looking (remember, I'm doing this to impress people :) LOL just kidding)... but it is kind of ugly.

------------------------------------------------------------

My specs with a 70w HPS security light would be;

70w = 70w

5350 Lumens (mean) in the 1900K range.

1w = 76.4 lumens

Price:

Fixture and one bulb (Home Depot) $68.99

Replacement bulbs(1000bulbs.com): $7.72 ea.

Troubles:

Building a support base/stand

I went ahead and bought the 70w HPS today after a ton of self debate. I have about $140 dollars into this thing with all of the misc. and I'm very pleased with that. My question(s) are;

1. What do you think of my plan thus far?

2. How far should I space my plants from the 70w HPS?

3. What type of flow should I set my timer to? 15 on / 45 off?

4. I think I will need a TDS/EC/Ph meter. What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1613537961&ccitem=

5. Besides Nutes, H20, and plants... What have I missed?

Comments (13)