SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silvergold_gw

Different types of arborescens (pics/comments)-your experience?

silvergold
17 years ago

Being in a northern climate I thought it was appropriate to add a collection of arborescense to my paniculatas. As I watch them develop, though, I understand why Annabelle is queen. Would be curious if anyone else has these varieties, what your experience has been - and do you have any pictures? Here is what I have.....

Pink Pincushion (Wilkerson Mill Gardens; Sep 2003). This may be pink but it is dull in my opinion. This is the first year with any substantial flowering so will give them a while longer. However, they are planted in a spot where typically viewed from a distance and are not really good in that regard as the flowers blend with the foilage. Leaves are rough and insects seem to like them.

{{gwi:1013960}}
{{gwi:1013961}}

Samantha (Klehms Song Sparrow; May 2004). The few blooms this one gets are mostly underneath the leaves. Too bad as they are pretty. Will let this one stay a while to see if it improves - maybe try pruning it to the ground next year. What is unusual is the white underneath the leaves - but unless it is windy you don't notice. And White Dome also has this. Overall I'm dissapointed.

{{gwi:1013986}}

White Dome. Purchased locally in 2004. This is it's first year to bloom. Only a few stems but it is in a very windy spot and suffered from lack of water last year until we installed drip irrigation in this area. Too early to say as it has so few stems but it growing on me. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

{{gwi:1013987}}

Hayes sturburst (Klehms Song Sparrow, this year. Buds were already formed when I received it. Very small plant but I like the flowers.

{{gwi:1013988}}

Annabelle - I love this one. I have it in several places.

{{gwi:1013989}}

Comments (6)