SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756092

My Toto Aquia III Install Experience

User
13 years ago

My master bath has been under renovation for two years now. (For the size of this "master" bath, two years is comical.) I recently installed the Toto Aquia III and wanted to share my install experiences in case other potential buyers were curious.

I chose the Aquia III based on user feedback on this forum. I didn't bother searching for a place to buy it online because most places will ream you on shipping to AK. I purchased the toilet with the Toto soft-close seat from a local plumbing company. (There's only one authorized dealer in town.) I think my price out-the-door was around $700. Yeah, I know. That's life up here.

This toilet is unconventionally installed. You don't just drop it down on a wax ring and tighten the bolts. I had to use one extra-thick and one standard thickness wax ring due to the new porcelain tile floor. Toto includes a template to help you position four screw-holes that are later used to hold the bowl down. Drilling these through porcelain is a killer. Installing the Toto toilet flange (which is separate from the toilet) is very easy and allows you to check the fit and position before the bowl goes in.

Between the flange and wall are two plastic mounts that get bolted to the floor. (Using the holes drilled in the floor.) These will stand up and provide a vertical mount point for the screws that hold the bowl down. (Screws go in horizontally, as opposed to the traditional vertical direction.)

The tank is tiny and fairly easy to handle. You must remove the stopper assembly to install the tank, which is simple. It took me three tries to get the tank installed without leaking through one of the two bolts. The gasket just wouldn't cooperate. I improvised by using some leftover wax from the wax ring packages to coat the gasket. That solved the leak, although there didn't seem to be any reason for it to leak.

The Toto seat is easy to install...if you think to install the mounting bolts into the seat backwards. Again, not quite conventional. It uses a rubber-sheathed screw with a captive nut. Turning the screw pulls the rubber up, causing it to grip. The seat itself slides side-to-side a little, which is odd. A couple spacers in the hinge should fix it.

The flushing action is fast and quieter than the other two toilets in the house. (One low-flush and one old mega-flush.) The fill valve is very quiet compared to our other toilets, too. It even turns off more gently, which keeps it from hammering the pipes.

I really like the toilet, despite its unconventional design and price. Would I buy it again? Maybe only for another master-bath reno. I wouldn't pay this much for a guest bathroom toilet. Its attractive, modern style fits our Kohler pedestal, which is square.

Comments (7)