SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyfsu

Newbie grower (teacher) with greenhouse - HELP!

LadyFSU
10 years ago

Hi all, This is my first post to a garden type forum. Be kind :)

I teach 11th and 12th grade science. A teacher who was teaching AP Environmental, and had just built a greenhouse with grant money, left for another job and now I'm taking over his classes and greenhouse. I LOVE the greenhouse! I think it's 26' x 26'.

There are 8 vertical towers. We use rain water. There was a 2 part nutrient solution he was using (for the 3 weeks he was there), and I have no idea what it is. He just told me how much to add each time we filled the 45g bucket up. The towers were filled with (I think) perilite and wood chips. The fertilizer is gone and so I'm spending my own $$ buying Miracle Grow at the moment. I get to spend school money and grant money soon, yay.

There is also a pond with Koi and turtles that he was using to go to this pvc pipe that ran along the near the roof and back into the pond. The roots blocked the pipe and kept flooding the place, and emptying the pond, so we yanked them.

And then, there is another rain water system that goes to pots on the ground. I don't know what he had in them, but they are growing the okra I planted great!

I want to build an A-frame type system with PVC running horizontally to grow herbs in. I have about an 8'10 empty space. I have no idea about pump sizes etc.

The teachers are going nuts wanting to buy from me (it's the club account - SPLASH - Students Protecting Land and Sea Habitats). They've given me ideas of what to plant and what they want. Tomatoes were by far the biggest hit.

Problems: In the summer, it is 120+ in there at times. I have to step outside into the 90 degree sun to cool/dry off. He has one tiny fan run by solar, so I brought in 2 box fans. It has helped, but not much. I have to figure a way to cool it off for 4 months of the year. One side of the greenhouse is screen across the bottom.

One grant I'm very sure I'll get is $3,000. What all do you think are "musts" for my greenhouse? I'm using scissors to trim, my home fan to try to cool it off, and yarn to string the plants up.

I wish I could post more than one pic...

Thanks. Laine

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH