SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

hit and run...tell your story about hopes dashed for the season..

Mary4b
9 years ago

Last year at the end of the season I splurged and bought a large Sunpower from Venero's near Mpls....it was already a "mature" one with more eyes than I could count. I gave a bit to my sister (stingy me, only a few eyes to get her going). Anyway, I planted her in FULL SUN along the driveway, partly as an experiment to see if we both could handle it...her the heat and sun, me the watering schedule. I placed her 4-5' in from the asphalt and I have been faithfully carrying 3 gallon buckets to her, almost daily. This is a very new habit for me, as I have not been a big waterer in the past. Sunpower was a beauty, looked about like a 5 year old, 3 feet across at least, and didn't get sunburned...she did, however, get run over by my daughter who backed out of the driveway in the dark...on a pizza run. A real "HIT AND RUN"...daughter said the next day that she had no idea that she'd even gone off the pavement.

I discovered Sunpower laying on her side the next morning, tell tale tire tracks deep in the mulch and over a near-to-bloom peony, too. It's so hard not to be mad every time I see it...4 feet off the pavement!

My sweet daughter said she'd buy me another one! I had to explain to her that it wasn't about the $, it's the anticipation, the enjoyment, the loss of the season's experiment...none of these can be bought....

Well, maybe I'll get lucky and she'll be HUGE next year, since she got stomped on. It's been about 4 days now and she's only perked up a bit on her now "better" side.

What's your story for hosta-hopes dashed?

This post was edited by mary4b on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 8:43

Comments (22)