SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Snow Mountain Tree #2 with yellow leaves too!!!

ostrich
15 years ago

Some of you may remember that I had a lot of trouble with a Snow Mountain Tree last fall. The leaves were turning yellow and dropping, and then eventually the plant just collapsed with the leaves wilting and finally it just died over the past winter. I think I probably just planted it too low and over-watered it initially too. Otherwise, I cannot think of another reason.

I replaced it this spring with the same tree from the same nursery. This time, I planted it much higher than before, and so the drainage should be much better, and I also avoided watering it too often and too much. It has been doing very well, with a lot of top growth. Everything was going well until last week, when we had a lot of severe thunderstorms with lots of rain. Now, a lot of leaves are turning yellow!!! Sigh! They are mainly the smaller leaves at the base of the stems. The top growth is still good. I checked the soil several inches below the surface - it was moist but not soaking wet.

What is going on here? Is it just chlorosis due to the iron being washed away? Or is there something going on in this spot so that both trees' roots are affected? Or is it just "normal" for Snow Mountain/Kyushu trees to do this? I really, really hope that this one will not die on me like the last one!!! Sigh!

If you have any insight, please share! I would love to hear it. Thank you!

Comments (11)