SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teamusery

Endless trouble with Endless Summer Hydrangeas

teamusery
13 years ago

This is my second year gardening so I am still very much a novice. However, this year I was bitten by the hydrangea bug so I decided to buy some and try them out.

The first ones I bought were the Endless Summer varieties. I purchased a Twist N Shout, Blushing Bride, and an Original Endless Summer to go on my screened porch. A few weeks later, I saw a darling, Forever and Ever hydrangea at Lowe's and scooped that up as well.

All hydrangeas were doing fairly well until I started noticing some pesky holes in their leaves. I had this same problem on my roses so I bought some Ortho Ecosense 3-in-1 Rose and Flower Care and sprayed it on all of the plants that had been affected.

Simultaneously, I was debating moving my Twist N Shout and Original Endless Summer hydrangeas to a partially sunny shade just outside of my screened in porch. The morning after the great "spray down" with the Ortho Ecosense I placed the Twist N Shout and Original outside to give them a trial run in their new spot. Big Mistake. A few hours later it looked as if someone had scorched these two plants with a blow torch. I was devastated but thought that perhaps removing the spent leaves and cutting back the damage would revive my babies. I even replenished their soil with Miracle Grow Water Control Potting Mix and added some 10-10-10 fertilizer the next weekend.

The Twist N Shout and Original hydrangeas look like they belong in an ICU unit now. They are barely hanging on with a minimal amount of new growth. The Twist N Shout was hit the hardest. It seems that any new growth turns brown and dries up.

The Forever and Ever Hydrangea is fine, but I cut back the dead flowers, fertilized it and the Blushing Bride as well, and it won't rebloom.

What am I doing wrong? Please help me save my hydrangeas. Do I need to put them all in the ground. Right now the Twist N Shout and Original are under the porch because I don't know what to do with them. I want them to live, and I have searched and searched for a problem like mine on the internet, but I can't find one that seems similar. I live in SC, and we are having a heat stroke summer so far this year.

If anyone can help me, I would be eternally or "endlessly" grateful. :)

Yours truly,

Erica

Novice gardener with a not so endless hydrangea

Comments (4)