SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Are fasciated scapes common?

User
10 years ago

I'm breaking this series of photos out from the ones I intended to post showing the hosta scaping or blooming or producing a pod.

Because IF I'm understanding this right, there are possibly 5 out of 20 of my scaping hosta which may well have fasciated scapes. And I did not think it was a common event.

First, Alex Summers. This is the first one I noticed. Now it is blooming but it looks like an air raid siren mounted on top of a pole, quite unlike a normal hosta bloom stalk.

Then, Orange Marmalade, it looked almost like a leaf until I touched it and saw it was growing funny. Can you see it clearly?

And Ginsu Knife.....that is a fragrant hosta, not many bloom this early. But here it is with this scape shooting up with a growth on the top like a spider plant! In MAY no less....

Then, Climax.....is that a fasciated scape or am I getting gun shy here?
{{gwi:1014470}}

And here's Frances Williams (from Lowes) which is finished blooming on this scape, which has some leaves/bracts, which I find unusual in size, and the blooms were a bit strange too.

I have some normal scapes growing which look sweet or did when they were fresh. Those 15 will be done in an existing thread somewhere else.

Am I right about any of these being fasciated scapes? I suppose this will be a unique growing year start to finish.

Comments (22)