SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azee_2009

My 1st DIY, Rooftop, Out Door, Vert & Economical Hydro Plan.

azee_2009
12 years ago

Hi there!

Dear Friends,

Today I take this opportunity to show you My 1st DIY, Rooftop, Out Door, Vertical & Economical Hydroponics Setup.

Description: (For MisterK Especially).

The setup is build up as follows:

Sown vegetable is Bitter Gourd.

1: A 1600 LPH capacity submersible pump, that pumps up the nutrients from the reservoir through (green pipe visible on the left). Pump is operated only for 15 seconds after each 50 minutes intervals.

2: Nutrients are drained through the iron pipe which has 34 drain outlets/holes (size 1/8").

3: There is 0.5 inch thick sheet of Oasis Floral Foam that covers the fruit crate from top & helps pressing Styrofoam beads in place under it.

4: Gravel helps in furtherance to place the Oasis Floral Foam cuttings at the desired level.

5: Moreover, Oasis Floral Foam plays a key role for lateral irrigation over the Styrofoam beads.

6: Since the Styrofoam beads are also connected with each other, they form excellent air pockets that aerate the roots as soon as the nutrients are drained back to the reservoir (after irrigation) as all the five crates piled up vertically.

7: Same material with same proportion is used for each crate.

8: Blue colored Nylon Mesh visible here, is also used at the bottom of each crate that plays a key role to restraint Styrofoam Beads to clog the drain holes that leads to smooth drainage.

9: 6/8" Iron Angle visible is used to support the structure in place by fixing it to the wall at the back.

10: Iron Mesh Trellis Frame is used to train the plants upwards. Hence no other support is needed.

11: On June 8, 2010. the pictured plants were directly sown into the system (No Transplants). Those are 27 Days Old Plants from Direct Seeding.

Cheers

Happy Gardening.

Azee.

NOTE: It is my old setup hence no more pics are available.

More details are under each picture here.

1 Top View Of Roof Top, Out Door Vertical Type Hydroponic Setup.

2 A = Nylon Mesh Stays At Bottom. B = Fully Filled With Styrofoam Beads. C = Top Layered By 0.5 Inch Thick Oasis Floral Foam Sheet. D = Top Most Layer Of Gravel.

3 Whole Structure = Setup Facing East

4 Whole Structure = Setup Facing East Close-Up

5 Whole Setup Cross Section View

6 Underneath Drain Collector Sheet With Reservoir.

7 Direct Sowing. 27 Days Old Plants From Direct Seeding.

8 Already A Few Small Female Flowers Have Developed So Far But Unfortunately Not Figuring At Pics.

Best regards.

Cheers.

Comments (5)