SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

How did I miss THIS!

User
9 years ago

I went out just around twilight to take some pictures, especially of the three hostas I plan to keep together, June, Teatime, and English Sunrise.

What do I spy in a nearby tub of four hosta?
It was a FIFTH HOSTA.
One that I did not plant there.
Now I have a totally different kind of NOID, probably a seedling.

That's it. Ain't it a beaut? The color you see above is the real color of the creamy yellow, more yellow than cream.
How could I have missed something that big and bright? Of course I was looking at POTS IN TROUBLE, and not at the hosta themselves. That will teach me to stop and smell the roses, or something else worthwhile, like LOOK AT THE HOSTA. I did the same thing in 2012 when I was looking at the pips for damage or poor depth etc, and totally did not see, until much lateras I watched a slide show of the photos, the beauty of all those sweet hosta growing in MY GARDEN!

Anyway, I have a NOID with a difference.
Am I probably right in assuming it is a stray seedling which found its way to this particular pot? Because it could not be from any of the four other hosta in that pot.

Here is the photo taken of the pot and its contents clockwise from upper biggest hosta:
American Sweetheart, Yellow Splash Rim, Autumn Frost, the seedling/NOID, and tucked beneath AS you can see the small Moon Shadow.

Off in the corner is Afterglow, reverse variegation of the seedling NOID. It was in the general vicinity of this tub of hosta. However, I do not feel that any of those 4 would have been the pod parent. I think it was pooped into this pot by a wild bird last fall.

I am enchanted by this blessed event. My very first seedling. At least, I think it is a seedling?

What should I do? Leave it alone? Isn't it SWEET?
I am going to bed tired but elated tonight.

Okay, does this count as another hosta added to my total ??? ( ;?]=

Additional thought....COULD it be a seedling or sport of American Sweetheart perhaps? Oh groan, don't tell me I have to untangle the mass of ROOTS in that tub and find out if it's attached to American Sweetheart? Oh GROAN. I was potting and unpotting all day today! Well, tell me quick because I don't want to do it....sigh....and find out it was useless......

Sure looks cute.

Comments (15)