SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
art3427

Nutrients $$$

art3427
13 years ago

OK, I think I've got the build side down pat. It ain't rocket science and it doesn't seem to be an expensive project. Then I started researching nutrients. WOW - what a shock! One 2 part material I've seen recommended several times (B'Cuzz) is $95.00 for a 2 gallon kit. That's more than I spend on seed and fertilizer for an entire season in my container garden. How much solution will this kit mix? How long will it last?

Right now I have 176 square feet of planting surface in my containers. I spend about $25 - 30 a year on fertilizer plus a lot of homemade compost. I grow about 6 months out of the year. My goal is to be able to produce enough fresh veggies for the wife and I too eat substantially from the garden. I'm hoping hydro will give me a year round growing season.

What do some of you guys spend a year on nutrients? How does your nutrient expense relate to crop production as compared to a similarly efficient dirt farm method?

I'm trying to figure out if going hydro is cost effective in terms of our total grocery bill. If I can produce tomatoes for $1.00 a pound now in the dirt, switch to hydro and get 4 times as many tomatoes but my cost goes to $1.25 pound, I've lost money.

Anybody all ready been through all this and figured it out? I'd love to hear about your finding/conclusions.

art

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations