SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuck_gw

Inexpensive indoor/outdoor system design

chuck
17 years ago

Hi, I moved to a retirement community where growing outdoors is a problem. I found some really intresting parts at Lowe's and before you know it, my system was ready to go. It can be put together in a short time without a lot of expertise. The growing area is composed of a plastic channel that comes in 4 foot sections, and has a nice flat base. It also has handy 1/4 inch lips on the inside of the channel that supports a top cover. I made the cover using a 3/4 inch foam sheet. The plants sit in 3" strainer cups also purchased at Lowe's. Operation consists of flooding the channel as needed using a timer. An overflow tube allows excess nutrients to return to the nutrient holding tank. The ends of the channel were closed off by gluing on end caps using 3/4 inch foam sheet and regular silicone rubber sealent. I also sealed hose penitrations on one end using silicone rubber sealent. I have pictures of the completed system and the individual componets for viewing on the link below. I hope that you will give them a peek. I suspect that the components are available at other home improvement centers, but if not, these items can be purchased online as well. Total cost of the unit is around $45 dollars (not including pump, resivore for nutrients, or timer). I hope that this design will be of use to anyone with restricted space. Actual size is 4-1/2" X 48". chuck

Here is a link that might be useful: compact grower pictures

Comments (3)