SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

A Good Hosta Day

Two new plants and a surprise make for a very good Hosta day. That was what was waiting for me when I returned home this afternoon after some volunteer gardening work.

I first saw two boxes on the front steps. First up was a plant I ordered from Land of the Giants. I wanted a very large blue to be put in a shady spot in my front yard that would provide a backdrop for H. Liberty. I chose Sea Blue Monster. But I didn't want to wait 6 years to get something decent sized so I emailed Jeff Miller at LOTG and asked if he would sell me a double sized plant from a mature division. I paid double for it, but like Bernd I don't buy green bananas. Here's what I got.

That should work well behind Liberty. It's a somewhat rare Hosta. Is anyone growing it?

Along side the big box for Sea Blue Monster was a smaller box from Reldon Ramsey. Reldon is a well known hybridizer and member of the Seed Grower's forum. He had put H. Miss Linda Smith up for auction on the HSG auction a few weeks ago and it was one that I had been looking for. Here's what he sent me.

That's about a 16 inch long root system with 3 eyes on this plant and one more bud on the crown. This one is going in a pot on my deck where I can keep a close eye on it. It may go into the garden in the Fall.

Then while I was getting the two new plants into water to soak overnight (separate water vessels, remember), I noticed this flower.

{{gwi:1009908}}

Sorry for the blurriness, I got too close with the cell phone camera. But I think you can see the purple and white on the flower. This is one of my seedlings William Lachman x OP. Here's the whole plant.

{{gwi:1009909}}

It's a nice little streaker that is busting out of it's cup literally. It needs to get into the ground where it will go tomorrow. All in all a good Hosta day. I hope your day went as well and that you all have a great weekend filled with friends, family and beautiful plants.

Steve

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996