SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mister_brownthumb

Impatiens sheared just below surface

mister_brownthumb
17 years ago

I am looking for a little insight as to what might be eradicating my impatiens. I have a bed that is 20'x3' and something is systematically wiping out my plants. Each plant stem is either sheared completely, or almost all the way through the stem. This is happening just below the surface. if it happens to one plant, the adjacent plant will be next. I have backfilled several spots 3 times so far this Spring, and I am at my wit's end. I first thought the problem was slugs. I have gotten rid of those with slug bait. Then it was pill bugs (aka sow bugs, rolly pollies). Those are now gone - pesticide granuals. A guy at a local nursery recommneded malathion which I used, and I am still having the problem. It's not an animal (my beagle ensures no varmits step foot in the yard), and I really do not think it is a fungus - they look toomuch like they are being chewed through, and then left to topple over and die. I can't for the life of me figure out what to do. I had the same problem last year and gave up. Impatiens in pots next to the bed are perfect. Has anyone experienced a problem of this nature? Any advice / info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus