SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cozworth_gw

shrinking Frances Williams

cozworth
16 years ago

Hi All:

One of my Hosta is shrinking. The very first Hosta I every bought was a Frances Williams with 2 large eyes and one tiny little side car type of eye. (actually I didn't know better back then. I think I paid $25 for it) As I said - the first Hosta I ever bought - so also the first I ever planted. I heard this variety is very sensite to sun scorch so I planted it in the very back of a shady bed. This was in June 2004. I should mention that at the time I knew nothing about hosta, soil quality or much else... I was basically just fooling around with the dirt in my back yard. I planted it in very heavy clay and I don't think I did anything to improve the soil. This garden bed was actually an alley way 50 years ago so you can imagine how bad the soil was. Well in 2005 it came up with 3 full large eyes. Not much growth from the year before. Then in 2006 it again had 3 large eyes. So, I thought I would dig it up and improve the soil - which I did....but maybe not enough. It is just now starting to come up and it only has 2 eyes this year....

What makes this even more annoying is that last year I got tired of waiting to have a nice size FW so I bought another plant and planted it about 24 inches away from the other and it has doubled in size since last year!!!

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus