SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

Tropical fruit trees?

16 years ago

I'm in the process of building a DIY aeroponics system. Sort of an experiment with very very very slow growing plants that also do not develop a good root structure. This will be an experiment using a couple different sized seedlings. A couple will stay in the original soil containers and a couple will be moved to the aeroponics system for comparison.

I will be using misters instead of sprayers since the plants pretty much only have a tap root and not much else. I figured misters would have more coverage as well as infusing more oxygen into the mix.

I've noticed on a lot of systems, people use timers for hitting the plant with nutrients. Others don't mention them at all. I can't find anything that recommends one way or another. So I was planning on not using a timer and letting the mist hit the roots 100% of the time. Any thoughts on this?

Also, like I mentioned above, root development with this plant is always an issue and probably has a lot to do with the plant's overall painfully slow growth. What recommendations for nutrients to get the plants to bust out some roots and get as much growth as possible? Are there products more suited to fruits rather than veggies? The PH of these plants should remain around 5.0-5.5. All suggestions/ideas welcome. Thanks! J

Comments (7)