SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randyfan01

tomato deep water culture grow (few questions)

randyfan01
15 years ago

after countless hours of reading and research, i have finally started to grow hydroponic tomatoes. i want about four plants, and they are each going to have their own DWC bucket (5 gal i have heard is good). i will be growing out of a grow box i intend to construct, and my first question is how big should it be? i dont want monster tomato plants, but something with a nice little yield and a little forgiving; tips on strains would be appreciated as well.when the grow box is constructed, im going to line the whole thing down with mylar as well. they're going to be in rockwool for the beginning and then im going to transplant the cube to the bucket with hydroton. im hopefully going to have 400w mh and hps bulbs, so that brings me to my next question. depending on the size of the room, does anyone know of an online calculator/equation to figure out what strength fan i should get? also, do you all think simple intake holes at the bottom of the grow box will do or should i get an intake fan as well? money is not a huge issue, and i have heard large plants can suck up the co2 in a few hours, so any suggestions would be helpful. i am also looking for nutrients to use, and i didnt know if something like the three part general hydro nutes would do or if there are more tomato centered nutes (im going to be growing more than tomatoes as well). to finally end this list of questions, any links to some DIY grow boxes would be great, considering i have never constructed much in my life.

thanks for any input

Comments (10)